Monday, December 23, 2019

Getting ready to go back to work!


I visited school again on Wednesday and brought the staff homemade marshmallows and went around visiting teachers and finding out where my substitute teacher left off with the kids. 

The words still bouncing around my head are my principal saying to me with a teasing smile, “Are you ready to come back? Your vacation is over!” Thanks, man. Thanks. I have two weeks left. Let me enjoy them! But yes. Then. Back to work. It’s always hard for me to get back into the right mindset after a long break. I sometimes get depressed. So I’m already coming up with ideas of what to do with the kids this semester to prepare myself mentally. Grading again and… getting kids to listen to me… and teaching. I can do this, I can do this. Plus time managing so I can spend time with Gracie at home and still get enough sleep! Deep breaths.

It was also important to make myself talk to the sub about what to start with in the spring semester. Because that also helps with the mental preparedness. She has left me in a really great place with my all my classes, especially my newcomer group. She knew exactly what curriculum to use and how to get going with them, and it seems like she worked the students hard and kept up with recoding grades in our online system. A couple of my students saw me while I was visiting another teacher and said, “Our teacher says you’re strict? Are you strict?” Apparently, the three weeks I spent with them at the beginning of the school year is long forgotten. “YES,” I said. “SO STRICT.”







No comments:

Post a Comment