Saturday, January 4, 2020

The holidays!



Christmas and New Years were amazing. We did our traditional fondue as a family with Danielle’s family on Christmas Eve and attended a candlelight service. Then I put Gracie to bed and we opened presents. I gave Gracie her storybook on Christmas Day and she adored it. She also got clothes and toys from friends near and far. Christmas is WAY MORE FUN with a baby.

I visited my friend Jo for New Year’s and was enraptured by all the fun I have to look forward to as Gracie gets older (Jo has a feisty two year old boy). Getting into everything and needing your attention constantly and just having those really grumpy days. But also. His sweet toothy grins! He's not one to like people other than his family. But for the first time when he saw me, he had a reaction other than fear and anxiety. He saw me, quietly took my hand, and led me into the living room to watch Sesame Street. Then, as I tried to tickle his feet, he leaned into me as if seeking a hug, so I obliged. 

So I’m not doing resolutions. We all know they don’t work. I had to circle the parking lot at our recreation center Thursday morning to find a space and when I got inside someone said, “It’s the resolution keepers!” Oh right! Those guys! But I am excited for a new year! Last year involved my third year of teaching, being pregnant, buying a house, moving houses, renting out a house, helping my parents renovate their basement, moving home, coming to terms with moving home, having a baby and getting to know my remarkable, beautiful Gracie. This next year I expect to lose weight, find a boyfriend, make a lasting difference in the lives of each of my students (or at least a couple of them) and watch my darling girl start turning into a real person. But if none of that happens, at least I have my good nature, my sweet daughter, my wonderful family and a loving God.

Gracie turned 4 month old on Dec. 31. She smiles at everyone and I’ve gotten her to giggle a few times. The other day she giggled uproariously at Benjamin as he jumped around saying “water bottle” over and over, because him acting like a clown while saying a nonsense word was TOO FUNNY. She’s now working on her screaming and spitting skills, as she likes to alternate a light “I’m not crying but maybe I will soon” scream and burbling juicy raspberries. She loves getting her diaper changed and is still calmly accepting of baths. She slept through the night, 11-12 hours at a time, for about two weeks and then decided, no thanks, 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. is plenty of time before it’s time for food. After her last bath I just COULDN’T help it and tried out a ponytail and later, pigtails. Oh my, I almost died from the cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment