Friday, November 8, 2019

Hospital stay


Aug. 31
Saturday evening, Marla noticed that my urine was very dark brown. My blood pressure had also spiked a bit on the two readings they took. Two evening nurses, Lindsey and Danielle, came in to tell me that I had preeclampsia, that I would have to get magnesium through my IV for the next 24 hours, that I could not get out of bed because of a risk of seizures, and that I could not eat anything for the next day as well. I burst into tears. I had just eaten toast and soup earlier after not having been allowed to eat once I had the epidural, and I had already been confined to bed for 24 hours. 

Nathan had just walked in with a chicken sandwich and fries for me. 

“Can’t she have a quick bite?” Mom asked. 

“No, we have to start right away,” they said. The nurses were apologetic, because they had thought the doctor had already told me this information. I also had to stay an extra couple days, meaning I spent a total of five days at the hospital until the next Tuesday, 

Later, Lindsey came to tell me that after the first heavy dose of magnesium, if I did OK, the doctor said I could eat something. I threw up later and wasn’t interested in food until the next day anyway.

Danielle stayed with me during the day on Sunday, and Mom slept in the room with me at nights. It was so nice to have their support. Lots of people visited me. Danielle and her whole family came in, Tricia came from Westminster to see me, Johanna showed up, Chloe came to see me as well. I had a nurse named Molly that day who said she was going to boss me around a lot. She got me breast pumping regularly and made me breathe into the breathing apparatus that makes sure you don’t get pneumonia.

Early Sunday morning at around 5 a.m., I had Lindsey help give me a sponge bath so I would feel a little human. Then that evening when she was back, I had her help me to the edge of the bed and I waited until 8:30, which is when they stopped the magnesium and I was allowed to get out of bed. She and Danielle took out my catheter, then Lindsey had to help me up; my legs were crazy wobbly, and she helped me to the bathroom for the first time in two days.

Danielle wanted to get back to work, so she arranged several friends to come visit me on Monday! Jenny Sparks came for a few hours, followed by Chloe and Saja Hindi. It was amazing. When Jenny showed up,  Danielle arrived a few minutes later. They started making my bed and pulling out baby clothes. “What are you doing?” I asked. “Surprise!” Danielle said. “I thought we could do baby photos so I told Jenny to bring her camera!” We dressed you in different outfits and posed you while Jenny took the most precious photos.

When Saja and Chloe arrived, I was still sleeping, but they sat and held the baby while I slept for awhile. Emily was my nurse this day. She was another very special lady who took good care of me and even asked to re-wash Gracie’s hair. (Someone had given her a bath the day before, but she still had matted blood in her hair). Emily washed her, changed her, and put her hair in a mohawk style that lasted all week until I finally gave her a sponge bath. 

On Tuesday, I had the day to myself while I waited to be discharged. My nurse, Amy, did the paperwork and loaded me up with supplies, formula and bottles and diapers and wipes. After one last check from the doctor around 4:30 pm., I took Gracie home!! And I can’t believe she’s mine! And now our adventure together begins.










No comments:

Post a Comment