Thursday, October 21, 2010

Getting to know the neighbors

My friend Jo and I moved in as roommates in August. We live in a nice town home and we each have our own bedroom and our own bathroom.

Our neighborhood is a little hostile.

We received three notes in total - two on her car and one on my car - the first month about parking. Parking is limited in the neighborhood and the notes told us we should learn to park better and the way we did it was unthinkable.

The last time, Jo called me from work after finding the note. She told me to leave a note on the car parked out front. This blue car was the one most likely to have been the vehicle of the note-leaver, because of the contents of the letter and the way the car was parked.

I sleepily found a magic marker and piece of lined paper, and wrote in all caps, "I was trying to be nice and pull up. We keep receiving these uncalled-for messages. Who died and made you the parking police? If this keeps up, we'll be filing harassment charged with the police."

Not my best literary work because it was 7 a.m. on a Saturday and I was TIRED. Obviously an empty threat, too. What would the police say if we tried to file this charge? "You say an anonymous person keeps leaving you messages, huh?" And then every person Jo and I talked to that day about the incident said the same thing first, "Well did you tell them to leave you a name and phone number so you can talk in person and stop being juvenile?" And we were both like, oohhhhh, that would have been a good idea.

I left this message on the blue car and we never received another note. That was about a month ago. We have narrowed down the likely culprit to our neighbor, a woman who appears to live with a daughter and a mother. We've seen her pull up in that blue car. She doesn't look at me when we see each other on our porches.

Now last weekend, Jo and I had a little party. We invited just a few work friends to celebrate our new place (because it's a small place). At around 11 p.m., a few of us decided to go to a bar in Fort Collins. My friend's husband drove, because he hadn't been drinking. I couldn't find my wallet and loudly proclaimed this when I stepped outside the house. Our neighbor popped her door open and said, "You are being son-of-a-bitchin' LOUD!" I kind of giggled and said, "Sorry!!" and quickly went back inside. That statement burned, though, because I'm not that person that has loud drunken parties and the way she'd cussed at me was just RUDE. We talked about it all night and I glared at the door with a big ol' grudge when we got back.

The next morning, I got up at 9 a.m. to go to my second job. I grabbed my purse and keys and walked outside. As I turned to lock up, I looked at my neighbor's door. Then I sighed and went back inside.

I found a marker and piece of paper again and this time I wrote, "I want to apologize profusely about the noise from last night. I don't usually get like that. Jo and I are 30. I work two jobs, she's a nurse. We're usually responsible and considerate. We were just having a little party to celebrate the new place we're renting. I was in the Peace Corps and have been living with my parents. She was living with her sister and brother-in-law. Anyway, again, I'm sorry!" I left this note in her door handle.

Then I went to work. I haven't seen her in the four days since.

Last night, Jo and I started a movie. I was giggling loudly about something when suddenly there was a hard knocking on our door. It was almost 10 p.m. No one we knew would be coming by that late. Apparently I'm NOT considerate enough to keep my laughing at a moderate level and our neighbor was probably there to chastise us again. Jo immediately hit the deck. I mean, she'd been sitting up and suddenly she was plastered against the sofa cushions. HIDING. That was hilarious in and of itself. Her dog was barking at the door. I had just been cackling. It was obvious we were home. And yet, she had NO intention of getting the door. None. I debated for a moment, was I a coward or the bigger person? Finally I got up, grabbed Bailey by the collar so she wouldn't charge, and answered the door.

It was our neighbor, with her daughter behind her. I braced myself to face the music. And she said in a really nice voice, "My daughter noticed you left your keys in the door. I wanted to let you know."

"Oh... thanks!" I said. "That was really sweet. Thank you so much!"

I grabbed my keys, closed the door, and went back to Jo. I was in shock. "That was our neighbor," I said. "I'm confused. Is she bipolar? She was nice."

So maybe we ended the note war? Maybe I FIXED it??

No comments:

Post a Comment