Monday, April 12, 2010

I was a busy little bee this weekend

It all started when Mom asked me if I wanted to go with her and her four "other" children - the ones she's helping to raise now that we're grown - to watch their Grandma perform in a "Dancing with the Teachers" performance in Berthoud.

Well of course I did. Amateur dancing is cool. Eight couples danced their way to stardom while a mix of teachers judged them. At the end, we all got to text in our votes. Our lady? She won in a landslide. Apparently being the hall monitor makes her ultimately cool. People all around me shouted, "Barb! Yah Barb!" And I wanted to elbow them and say, "Well, really, she's our Barb. Have you known her since you were six?" I felt especially proprietary, like I could keep this celebrity all to myself.





Also, I tried out a new iphone app for photos this weekend. Doesn't work so well on far away images. Or moving images. Or things in the dark. But I like the border.

On Saturday I worked eight hours at Osh Kosh. It was long and slow, but people were relatively nice. They get meaner on Sundays.

After work, I bought a top at Macy's because I was heading to Denver to a birthday bowling thing and wanted to be pretty. Not frumpy. Then I headed off to Denver, already late. Jo called and asked me what I was doing. "Going to Denver," I said. "... want to come?"

"I'd love to!" She said. "I'm bored." So I detoured back to her house, waited for her outside, called her phone twice which she refused to answer and finally saw her come out. At last. And then we had 20 minutes to drive to Denver.

"We're going to be late," I said grimly. "And I hope they don't mind that you're crashing."

We arrived at the little bowling alley about 40 minutes late. Oops. Because we'd also headed down the wrong way on Federal Boulevard. But we found it, drank some beer, did some bowling, caught up with friends, ate delicious nachos. I don't know what it is about that processed cheese and extra jalapenos...

Oh! And ANN was there! No one  cares but me but Ann used to work at the newspaper and I MISS her! Now she lives in Denver and has a way better job and gets off all the holidays imaginable because it's a government job and we're all very jealous. And she's getting married and her fiancee is amazing. (Well, I had to write that, she reads this blog apparently) ;)

But he is. He was great. And asked us lots of questions about ourselves, and just an engaging fellow to talk to. I need to find a boy like him.

Sarah is adorable. And very peppy. 
It was Pamela's birthday, but I didn't get a good picture of her!

At the end of the night, Jo drove us home. My driver's side seat doesn't move back and Jo's tall, so she had to drive with her knees up to the wheel. She missed the turn onto I-25, so we drove on into downtown and tried to figure out how to get back on I-25. Thank God for i-phones and handy GPS maps or we would have continued to drive the wrong way forever. Like LAST time we went to Denver together years ago and drove around for hours. But anyway, we made it home safe and sound, all pleased with ourselves for having actually gone out.

On Sunday, I worked another four hours. The customers were rude. I don't get it. It's a day of repentance but customers are notoriously out. to. get. you. on Sunday. One customer said 'excuse me' with an expressionless face and almost plowed right over me with her monstrous stroller before I could move out of the way. She continued on like it was nothing.

After work, Jo and I went hiking at Horsetooth with her dog, Bailey. We took the easy route up to the falls, relaxed their for a bit, and headed back. The whole thing was only a couple hours. On the way back, I was chatting away, slipped on a rock and slid to the ground. I scraped my arm and threw my water bottle. Luckily, it went only a short way down the hill and got stuck in brush. Johanna retrieved it and sympathized with me over my wound. It stung.
 
Love Colorado

Later we ate at Noodles and Company, then went to see "Date Night." THAT WAS SUCH AN AB WORKOUT. That was the funniest movie I've seen in awhile. I usually think of Steve Carrell as the painful funny guy, not the real funny guy. But this was good. This was really good.

Oh and my sister is in England and Ireland and Italy or some nonsense like that. So my weekend pales in comparison. But still. I managed to do a lot and work both days!

No comments:

Post a Comment