Friday, February 12, 2010

Getting the hang of things

Well. I've been home 51 days. It feels strange. People ask me stuff about Ukraine.
What are people like? What do they feel about their new president? Did you like it there? It's really cold there, isn't it? What did you eat there? Did you live in a rundown hut? Did you have a car?
I see things all the time that I want to show my Ukrainian friends. Like Valentine's. Every store has one big aisle that is devoted to pink and red candy, gifts and cards.
People can call and pay to get a red heart put up on a street sign or lamp post that says, "Jenny and John - Love - Forever" or whatever you want.
There is a hunt for a heart every year. The newspaper prints clues in the paper, and people use those clues to search for the Loveland Valentine Heart. The person who finds it gets a special prize.
In Ukraine, you have to search the bazaar (market) for little heart cards to give on this day. No pink and white M&M's or heart-shaped sweets.
Now, I work at a newspaper everyday. On the weekends I work at Oshkosh.
I've been playing racquetball two or three times a week and going to the gym.
It's like I never left. Except I never stop thinking about Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment